Monday, May 01, 2006

Supposed to Run....

Man, this was not a very good week for me. It was supposed to be a scheduled run for the Jogathon Warisan (Kubur Run) but unfortunately, I fell sick the last minute. In fact I had made arrangements with Kelvin(PM2) to collect the bibs (sorry Kelvin for making you calling me!!) and in addition, I have made the necessary hill training for this event. Alas, Life is seriously unpredictable. On Friday I caught the flu bug and it took turn for the worse as it progress into fever. Disappointed....really disappointed...the feeling is that it cannot be fully described. I wanted to race this event as much as possible. Sorry PM1...totally let you down....

3 comments:

Keipo said...

Hello Ah Sim ah....hope u kin kin ho oh....!! take care !!

KVSSNrao said...

Dear Mr. Boon Haw

I want to know how are you are managing to run after having a runners knee problem

I am having pain in my knee when I am sitting nowadays. It is runners knee problem I guess.

kvssnrao
www.kvssnrao.blogspot.com
nrkvss@rediffmail.com

Boon Haw said...

Hi Mr.Rao,

Thanks for dropping by into my blog. You have mentioned that you have a pain in your knee even when you are sitting. It sounds pretty serious to me. Well, the first thing you need to assess is

1) how long (the pain) had been going on?

2) Had you been resting after the pain? If yes, how long?

3) Did you apply icing and elevating the inflammed area?

If the answer above is all yes yet the symptoms had not subside, I would seriously suggest that you go for an orthopedist to have it checked out. There is no harm in getting an opinion from a professional and it may help you in the long run too.

As for me, I went to an orthopedist to have it checked out on my kness and he gave me a greenlight to run. But the symptoms still persist and actually I decided to incorporate strengthening excersise during my short distance run. In addition, the difference between your mileage and mine are huge where it seemed that you are running longer distance than me. So it would be logical to assume that your knees had to handle more stress than mine.

Give yourself ample time to rest. Resting can also be a key to improvement in performance. All you need to do is to know how your body reacts to different stimulus eg. training, resting, food etc. and you will find the right balance.

HAPPY RUNNING!