Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Negative Split

I had the pleasure of doing a full/complete training last night and it really felt good. For most part of the week, I had only been doing 5K short runs thrown in with some EXTRAS. However, I decided to up my mileage this week by doing a 7K slow run so as to improve my fitness and also, just to relax off my legs after intense short distance training. It was 8pm and after surveying the streets and confirming that there are no mad dogs lurking around the corner, I started my run. It was intended to be a slow run from the beginning but as I enter the 2K mark, I actually felt stronger. So I said to myself...'why not a hard run?'. I started to push from there. This time, I never looked at my watch but as the laps go by, I just press the watch to record the split time. By the time I reached my 5K mark, I decided to check my time while running. WHOA!!! A Negative Split!!! I never envisaged that I could run a negative split at this distance. Instantaneously, I got another boost from my own ability. I pushed further, in a progressive manner to the 7K mark with the hardest run at the final lap. So, below are my times:

Laps measured in 750m (0.75K)

Lap 1: 4min 47sec
Lap 2: 4min 30sec (-ve Split)
Lap 3: 4min 07sec (-ve Split)
Lap 4: 4min 04sec (-ve Split)
Lap 5: 3min 58sec (-ve Split)
Lap 6: 3min 52sec (-ve Split)
Lap 7: 3min 45sec (-ve Split)
Lap 8: 3min 50sec (conserve juice for the final kick)[+ve Split]
Lap 9: 3min 50sec [Neutral]
Lap 10: 3min 33sec (-ve Split)

Total Running Time: 40min 20sec (Distance of 7.5K)
Average Speed/K: ~5min 33sec

I felt good afterwards with some slight knee pain but I guess it was a good workout. Hope that I can do this as long as possible.

(Ed: Hi Miss: I am still thinking of you)

No comments: