
The race started at the right time ie.7.30am but it was the starters which is utterly distressing. Most of the starters are those whom are not of runners and there is nothing much that the organisers could do as well. Maybe the organisers could allow the faster runners to be in front rather than at the middle pack. When the gunshot was heard, the people actually started to walk!! WALK!! ...is there no sense of urgency?? Well I had to push some of the runners as I am trying to make up for my lost time and ground...I pushed relentlessly and this proved to be my undoing. Why? Much of the energy was spent trying to make up for the lost time. Nervousness set in and ultimately, there is no rhythm at all in my running. It was all sporadic sprinting and pushing. Later Ronnie potong sayur me and he too mentioned that the runners are blocking his way. By the time I reached the half way mark, I just exploded. I could not continue anymore and at the same time, my stiches had set in. I had to stop. At that point of time, Bong Seng and Draco overtook me. In fact I took a breather at the water station and completely stopped running. I decided to calm down and look for my rhythm. I took the first step and it was all the way from there. The hills did not looked like hills anymore and I pushed my pace again. This time, it was better. Just like in training where I had no problems. I was comfortable and just around 2-3km before finishing, I decided to have a go again, upping my pace and try to hold the pain off. Before long it was 1KM left and at the junction turning into the Lake Gardens, I heard Adam shouting my name. I could not spot him but it gave me another final boost into the finishing line. By the time I reached the courthouse, I was already in huge oxygen debt whereby I was actually gasping for air rather than breating normally. It felt like I was drowning and every step, it felt like an eternity. There is no way I could push my body anymore and the next thing I knew, I finished the race. It was an unbelieveable experience. I had not run so hard for such a long time. I nearly forgot the experience of running hard and the pain associated with it. I did better than expected as I had only thought of finishing within 60mins but actually I was in the region of sub 54.54mins. This is my best time for the current year at dataran although far from my best performance of 49mins. There were other factors that had affected my performance too and the most noticable one would be, I had not eaten for a whole week prior to the race. There was a bad mouth infection whereby a 1cm cut in my mouth had transformed into a 2cm huge ulcer..OUCHHHHH!!! Since I could not even bite a single thing, I thought I might as well diet. Haha...I lost a good old 2KG and I was surprised at my performance. Right now, I am concentrating on 10K runs and would like to break the 53min barrier. Kampateh!!!
(ED: I had not spotted the girl yet...However, there is always hope. I believe in fate. I know I'll meet her one day. One day.)

No comments:
Post a Comment