Saturday, April 01, 2006

Saberkas RH Marathon 2006 (Part 1)

Hi guys, sorry for the late report that was supposed to be due from the day that we came nack from Kuching. Have been bogged down by work and it was really difficult without any internet connections from my home. Currently, I am at Starbucks publishing this blog! Anyway, the trip had been the best that I have ever taken and the race was memorable too. Although it was a little bit of rush to go places but all in all, we enjoyed ourselves.

25 March 2006 - I woke up late!! Man I nearly missed the flight to Kuching as I need to be there at least 1hr before the departure. The good thing is, my boss was going to KL on the same flight time as mine, therefore negating the necessary use of the taxi which is going to cost a bomb. Got to my boss's house and found that he is waiting for me. Without hesitation, we rushed towards the airport in my car. Got into the plane at around 7am and off I go to Kuching!!

Image hosting by Photobucket

Kuching Airport


I reached Kuching airport at no time. Reader's I know you will be asking as to why there were no airplane pictures and it is because I did not manage to get a snap as my camera was checked in together with my luggage!!

Image hosting by Photobucket

The huge banner welcoming the runners


Anyway, I waited for Ryan for a good 45 mins before they arrive and off we go in a taxi towards the town.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Ah Loong, the 'commentator' in the taxi


It was a good 20min ride to the town and immediately the first thing that we noticed about the town was that it was very very clean. So clean that I couldn't believe that this was part of Malaysia. Well, the people's attitude says everything. We reached our hotel in no time and proceed immediately to the counter to see if we can check in as early as possible and to our surprise, we could! Our rooms were ready by then and the procedure was painless. I mean the people there are quite helpful and they are friendly too. This was great.

Image hosting by Photobucket

The view from our room. Not bad but we would have preferred the a room facing the river. Well, we can't complaint on everything can't we?


After that we parted our ways, Ah Loong and Ryan proceed to the Cultural Vilage meanwhile I decided to take a stroll around the town. The moment I stepped out of the Hotel, there was this temple right in front which beckoned me for a visit. It seemed like it was a heritage site in Kuching as mentioned on it's walls where it was built somewhere in the 1800's!!

Image hosting by Photobucket

Tua Pek Khong temple


Just right across the temple was the Museum of Chinese History. The admittance was free and I just went right in! Open 24/7 except on public holidays.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Museum of Chinese History


In the museum, it had been mentioned that the Chinese Sarawakians had played a major role in developing this state as the late James Brooke brought the Chinese to help him to further develop the state. In the museum itself, mny of the chinese clans had been mentioned and in great detail mentioning what they specialise in.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Museum displays


Next, I proceed to walk around the town but not along the river. I decided to explore the inner parts of Kuching away from the river itself and along the way, I discovered many places, although I had not have a map with me.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Along the way, I discovered another temple


Well, the first significant building that I saw was the Kuching post office!! Take a look at the picture, can you believe that structure is a post office??!!

Image hosting by Photobucket

Kuching Post Office


Just right across the post office was the Kuching Textile Museum. It is a beautiful place showcasing the various collections of costumes from all the races in Malaysia. Just take a look below on how beautiful the structure is.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Kuching Textile Museum


Image hosting by Photobucket

Inside the museum (ya I know, I am not supposed to take pictures but I just can't help it!)


Next, I proceed to the Sarawak Cultural Center and took a look at the various handicrafts. A picture will be posted later. I decided to head back later as Rachel had sms'ed me that they will be reaching soon.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Kucing Town


I manage to meet up with PM1 and PM21 and decided to head for lunch. After that we will be on the way to the Damai Beach!

Image hosting by Photobucket

Ronnie: You sleepy ka?


There were actually transport going to and fro from the town to Damai beach and all we need to do is to get a 'ticket' for it...I meam the bus is actually not a bus but a van. Upon reaching Damai beach, we just head towards the sea!!

Image hosting by Photobucket

Cuci Kaki


We just walked around the beach but there was nothing much to do as the place was indeed quite 'quiet'. I mean we were actually expecting tons of leng luis to be around but then there was just a handful of beach goers.

Image hosting by Photobucket

The quiet scenery at the beach


After lazing around for a while, Ryan and Ah Loong joined us and we walked to the entrance of the cultural village.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Group photo at the entrance of the Cultural Center (man, I looked like a fool. I hate the pose)


We manage to get our transportation back to the town and by the time we reach our hotel it was already 6pm. Man, my legs are tired. Next, we met up with PM31 (woofy) and her friends Audrey / Ivy [Wa...woofy already cute liao but her friends oso beautiful lar... :p] for our unforgettable dinner. It was really great. I mean the food actually tastes good and I actually have no complaint or whatsoever except the price is a little steep. But I guess that is fine judging by how much sea food that I had ate. By this time my camera konked out and had to be left to the room for a recharge. By the time dinner was over, I proceed to get my race beverage and in the 7-eleven, manage to meet up with PM26 (Richard Habeya). He is in good spirits and after exchanging the pleasantries, we just head back to our room.

In the room, we met with Ai Ling from Singapore where she is running for the 40K and Ronnie as usual, beh tahan want to Chor Dai Dee...we played a few games and after that it was lights out. Ryan, Ah Loong and me slept soundly throughout the night.

TO BE CONTINUED...

No comments: