Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Siemens 10k Run

It was a fun run and I had set a new personal achievement in this race. This is the first time that I had managed to land a medal in a tough race with limited medals. My few previous 10k runs (limited medals) had not yielded any returns as I always finish beyond the placing. So there wasn't much confidence in me to finish this race and get a medal too. Anyway, the day started at 5.30am. !@$%^!!! I did not set the alarm clock and I was glad that I could wake up automatically, if not I would have missed the race. Proceeded to clean myself up and get some 'sugars' into my body. I left my house at 6.00am and proceed to pick Jason up. We reached Dataran Merdeka at 6.45am to 7.00am and met Jamie. Soon, we saw Lonerunner too. After some chit chat, we warm ourselves up.

Next, we proceed to the 'kandang' and try to get a spot. 10 Mins after that the race is off!! I ran as fast as I could and after 500m, I settled down to my rhythm. Just right after the Bank Negara, I saw PM1 running past me and I decided against to chase his buntut b'cos he always run very fast. My strategy is to push hard at the hills and after the 5km mark (Duta roundabout), I decide to maintain pace only.

What a wrong decision I have made. As I had never run the specified route in the Siemens Race before, I thought the whole of that stretch is going to be downhill. As I approached the tennis stadium and turn left, I was happily running downhill until there was a stretch with an uphill run. What the !$%#^!!! Where did that hill came from! My semangat also wane already! That hill proved to be my undoing as I was suffering so much, I actually stopped running!! I stopped for 15 Sec!! 3 people went past me and I said to hell with suffering!! I started running again and rest of the distance, it was a difficult one.

After the parliment building, I was determined I am going to finish and get a medal no matter what. So I pushed my pace and managed to potong back the 3 sayur which went past me. I pushed so hard until during the finishing line, my saliva was dripping from my mouth without me realising it. Bloody disgusting man...When I approached to the race marshall, he handed me a pink slip and I was so disoriented that I actually did not read the slip. My heart was thinking can I get a medal? As I walked further, the guy in front of me picked up a certificate but no medal inside and I was utterly disappointed. Suddenly, he reached into another basket and reached for the medal! Wahlau, I got a medal in this tough run lah! Wohoo!! I then checked what was my position and it was recorded 78 (Ronnie, you kena betulkan my position in your blog lah..). My time was 52min 51sec and I knew I could do better if not for my misjudgment at the hills.

Anyway, while I was walking towards the drinks station, I was contemplating...Can I run below 50mins? I realised I need to train harder. After that, we proceed with a mega picture session at the clock tower (password:TNS!) and I went home with a renewed hope of running faster. What a happy day!

No comments: