4.15am: Woke up from my sleep and had a very nervous feeling. Although my system is feeling all ok but I could not shake off this nervousness in me as I kept thinking on how to survive this race while coming out unscathed for 1) I had not ran anything more than a 25K for the past one year, 2) I had not trained sufficiently for this race and 3) This is a very hilly course. It will burst many quads and hamstrings. I decided that I should carry a packet of ORS for "emergency" purposes. Jason picked me up at around 5.10am.
5.30am: Jason parked his car at the Bukit Aman carpark and we met CM there. Next we proceed to the starting line to register ourselves. In fact, if I had not mistaken, there were more 30K runners compared to 20K. We moved into the starting pen. My nervousness kicked in again and I was trying hard to relax.
6.00am: The horn blared and off everybody goes!! I started slowly and already, we have to climb the first small hill out of the Lake Gardens. I tried to keep cool at the back of my mind and run slow, but I wasn't relaxing. I don't feel comfortable at all.
First 10K: The first of the double hills greeted runners and I made a silly error here where I proceed to run faster than usual in the hills. I wasted energy there and this proved to be my undoing. Although I manage to breeze through the first 10K without feeling lethargic but I should have ran slower than usual just to conserve more juice for the next 20K.
Second 10K: I was already tired after the hills and my 'ghostly illusion' started to haunt me again. The thought of an ITB inflammation started to kick in as I was coasting towards Hartamas. My ITB felt 'irritated' although personally I felt it is ok to proceed. At this point in time, I had no thoughts of setting any record time or whatsoever but just to complete this run within the 3hr 30min time frame. I reached Sri Hartamas and relaxed at the water station. I opened my packed of ORS and mixed it with the 'power' drink. I stretced at this point and tried to loosen up a bit. Picking up my courage and focus, I continued my next 10K with hope that I could finish it within the time period I had set my self. "3.30" was the only thing flashing across my mind right now.
Third 10K: It was all pain...pain...pain. My focus broke and I had to run/walk for the rest of the way. This is clearly illustrated where I took 1hr 13mins just to head home from Hartamas and my spirit broke. This continued all the way until the last 2K where I heard one of the runners saying to his other friend that "these runners (those who are walking and running) are a bunch of people whom had the heart to run but not the energy to do it" - In cantonese (Yau Sam Mou Lik). I was F**KING pissed off when I heard this. At this point I just didn't cared anymore...I ran and ran and ran chasing that fool whom had uttered this sentence. As I was approaching him, he stopped to walk and when I coasted pass him, I gave him some nice stare and a loud 'hmmphhh!!!'. I just continued to run. It was really painful...
The Finishing: I had a feeling that I may be able to make it into 3hr 30mins if I gave it all I could. It was a really tense moment for me as I just kept running towards the finishing. I saw Tony(Penguin) and gave a cutthroat sign while he said 'You have 10 Mins more!' I just pounded the pavement harder and my mind had nothing but pain. Just for your info, the 3.30hr is the 'cut off time' for runners. From the entrance of the lake gardens to the finshing line, it was a total blur. My vision had nothing except the road in front of me looking for the finishing. The next moment, I knew I was close to the finishing with only 30secs left to finish within 3.30hrs....
I made it....I crossed the finishing line with the timing of 3Hrs 30Mins...
The aftermath: I was dead tired..I couldn't even eat afterwards but I was happy to see Ronnie, Jamie, Tey, Richard, Rohaizad/DK (their debut!!), CM, Jason and others did well. I was very happy for them. It had proven that high milage plays a very big part in determining whether we can run a good timing. While I had not prepared at all for this race, I was glad I made it through unscathed albeit with some muscle pain.
In conclusion, to run a good 20K and above, it had and will always be mileage training and like Ronnie says, respect the distance.
PM25 sign off...

The Beautiful Group of Runners

Another Group of Beautiful Runners (Note: I am suffering)
For more pictures please go to: "http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/simboonhaw/my_photos"
-Pictures courtesy of Carboman.
5 comments:
In the darkness of the Double Hill, I saw a familiar figure charging up the hill. It was you but I was a bit surprised to see you run fast (5 min pace?). Anyway hope to c running at KLIM. Who was that f**er anyway?
Who was that f***er? who said the nasty thing near the end?
good job man! i was really surprised to find you running the 30k! what courage! i'm glad your legs are generally ok. go for it come klim! this 30k will really come in handy then! too bad no time to check out your zen!
krunner: I am not sure who that guy is but he is quite old (middle age presumably and quite chubby) I was a little offended by what he said but I guess I have to thank him too. Without his 'encouraging' words, I may not even pull through the "3.30" that I have set for myself :-). Anyway, congrats on your run! There will be many more to come!
Carboman: Ya, I was surprised myself too that I ran the 30K. I wasn't prepared at all but I wanted to 'try' if my legs could withstand the punishment as I am having thoughts of racing a full marathon at the end of this year. Anyway, it's just a thought..nothing had been confirmed yet. What I know now is I need a lot more high mileage training if I want to race a full marathon. If I am not up to par, I will not do it. Anyway congrats on your timing! It is a good one considering the punishing hills.
Well done Boon Haw. How I wish there was someone who said something like that after my 25k mark to give me a kick start again!
Post a Comment