My experience on this run was quite positive as I only trained 1 week before the race. My timing was 2Hr 2Min and I managed to improve 10mins from Sears Bridge Run. This is actually attributable to a good weather and my change in training tactics. As for the race, below are the details:
4.02am: After driving for about 40 mins, I manage to reach there early. Well, I just went straight into the finishing area and parked my car nearby although we aren't supposed to park there. I really have to thank the organisers for providing lack of parking place.
4.30am: Sat in my car and psyching myself. Stretched my tight muscles.
5.30am: Wandered onto the reporting area and reported myself. Saw Jason at this point and Eric too. Proceeded to warm up properly.
6.28am: Race had been postponed by 28mins. I don't understand why people had no sense of punctuality.
6.29am: BANG! Off everybody goes. Insead of charging like a bull to the fornt, I changed my running by dividing the race into several 'sections'. I maintained a different pace at different section of the race. First 5-8K, I was at 5.5min pace and I made sure I disciplined myself to maintain at these speeds. For the rest of the sections, I maintained at 5.7min to 5.8min although the 3 km saw my time plummeted to 7mins as I felt dizzy while running due to low glycogen levels. I had not loaded anything into my stomach that morning. Just plain water.
9.00am: Lining up at the Milo Van trying to grab something to stuff into my stomach. I was very hungry at that point. :p
Well, I had learned a few more things about myself on this race. Actually I was in the middle of a project dismantling my training methods and reconstructing a new regime to suit myself. I actually took pointers from Hal Higdon's book 'Marathon - a guide for Beginners'. There were tons of information and strategies which relate to training and I am trying to adapt them. Well, to sum up everything..While training, focus would be the keyword. From a single word of focus, there will be training plans on mileage work and speed work which I need to follow if I want to run a good time. Not forgetting too, I researched into nutrition to boost energy levels. Other factors like 'mind play' and proper rest was taken into account.
Anyway, just hope that my time will be further improved when Singapore Marathon arrives. I want to run a Sub 1hr40min for 21K. I just hope that this is possible as it is my dream to run below this timing. Here I come Singapore!
No comments:
Post a Comment