Monday, March 21, 2005

Pacesetters Kuantan - Teluk Chempedak Run 2005

Hi guys!, well I just came back from a great run and guess what, I PR'ed in this 10KM race!! Below is the report.

19 March 2005.
Packed all my things and began my journey at 11.00am. Went to KL Sentral to pick up PM17 (Ryan Teoh). I was on time at 11.30am and then proceed to another place to pick up another mysterious guy and his wife (Due to VIP status, I was not allowed to mention his name). Anyway, we left KL at 1.00pm and it was a long drive to Kuantan. After about 3hrs of drive, we reached the town and proceeded to collect our bibs and t-shirts. The t-shirts are really good in quality (Brooks cooltex) although the size is big. We checked into our room and decided to drive around town to look for something to eat. We drove to Berjaya Megamall and parked my car there. Well, there nothing much in this mall except with a few flashy NIKE shops and Adidas shops. Other than that, nothing much of an interest. We proceeded to the foodcourt and with our stomachs growling, while hoping that there is something decent here to makan. Alas!! There is nothing here that we can even consider putting into our mouths!! Maybe we are a picky bunch but it is really disappointing. We went outside to look for food as well and came to an indian shop. Aiya, cannot tahan liao. Anything will do lah.

After our feast, we drove around town to look at the scenery. We proceeded to Tanjung Lumpur where it is a secluded island linked by a bridge. We stopped at a fishing village and took a few pictures there. It is a nice place, with the sunset coming in, the whole place looks so tranquil (ask me for the pictures on Sunday!!). Then we drove to Teluk Cempedak to have a feel at the starting place. Wow!! This place is happening!! There are so many people and we saw a few pacesetter members there including our VP Mr. Francis Toh. We greeted him and proceed to explore the place. Penguin 6 was there too but we met him on the race day. By the time we finished exploring, it was around 7.30pm. We drove back to town to look for dinner and settled in a chinese shop. We went back to hotel at 9.30pm.


20 March 2005
5.45AM!!! We woke up getting ready for the race. After some makan and minum, we drove to the starting line and reached there at 6.30am. Did a little warming up and the two mysterious guys were also eager. Mysterious guy said that he is here to cari makan. Very good for him. I just want to finish that's all. We saw Ajeep as well and he is also looking good. As for PM17, he looked OK too. I expected him to pia kau kau lat wan.

Race Starts!!! Everybody pecut uphill (trust me, it is a steep one) and saw mysterious guy already in the front pack. I also itchy bum and decided to keep close to the front pack. As we continued running towards the 1st turning point at 3rd KM, I saw mysterious guy at position 6 or 7. I thought...'hmmm...maybe he can get a trophy today'. So I continued to push harder and harder. I saw this guy (Japanese?) in front of me and I said, wah...for his age he is blardy fast lah (his head had quite a few white hairs). The first turning point came and I lost mysterious guy already. At this point in time, he gila turbo like nobody business. I also the same, I gila semi-turbo like nobody business. I just followed the japanese in front of me. At KM7 or so, I heard some loud huffing and puffing and when I looked behind, I saw a middle aged guy pacing me. Aiya, damn pressurising lah. So I pushed even harder to lose him but he kept on following me!! So i decided to let go a little bit just to see who he is. He is a runner from the club 'Bidor Kaki Runners'. Wah!! mengancam man....So this time, I let him do the work. Then on the horizon, I saw one of his team mates and both of them did pacing. Wah!! it is getting faster and faster, so I had no choice but to follow only. The Japanese is still in front and with this two runners beside me, pressure is damn big. OK, so I pecut like nobody's business just to lose this two and I did. I managed to catch up with the Japanese and hold on to his backside. Suddenly out of nowhere, that guy (Bidor Kaki Runner's) appeared out of nowhere again! I think he abandoned his team mate to give chase. Aiya, my energy wasted liao!!! So I knew I had one last chance. The final turning into finishing line where it will be an uphill battle. I slowed down my pace just to conserve for the final sprinting burst. The corner came and I opened my turbo!! I just sprinted uphill and lose him in the process and at the same time, potong sayur on the Japanese also. Turning into the finishing line which was 10-20meters ahead of me, that guy managed to catch up!! I don't carelah, injury or what I just gave all I got and I finished ahead of him!!! They gave me the medal and I looked at my timing, 44mins 40sec!!!! WAH, MY NEW PR!!!! At the finishing line, we (the runner from Bidor) both shaked hands and I commented on his strong performance. Later, I was so doubtful on my timing that I asked mysterious guy whether the distance is 10KM. Later he confirmed with me that it is 10.1KM. Damn satisfied lah....my fartlek training had yield gains. I suffered pain in the track and it had given me a new PR. I had always taken the Siemens run as my PR in which I recorded a 52mins 01sec. I shaved off a total of 8mins from my time!!! That's a century!!

Mysterious guy was even better, he got a trophy (position no.4) and everybody is happy. PM17 came in and he said Ajeep finished in front of him. He needs to do more track work man...We lingered around the finishing line where we have our usual Milo van there, not to mention that Vico van was there too. There was a packed of light breakfast and we are waiting for the prize presentation ceremony. The atmosphere was great as it was like a carnival and there are tons of people around. I took pictures of some girls there and we headed back to hotel at 10.00am. We rested, clean ourselves and checked out. We drove around the town, looking for food. We settled at a shop named Kemaman Kopitiam and sapu virtually anything we can see. Damn hungry ma... We begin our journey back at 1.00pm reaching KL around 4.00pm.

End of report. Oh one more thing, did I mention that there was no water station?

2 comments:

Jamie Pang said...

Congrats on your BIG PR! Gripping race report - potong here and there!

Oh ya, the VP's name is Francis Toh

Anonymous said...

ahaha!!! nice report!!!! thx again for the wonderful trip. we missed the sunrise at teluk chempedak la. check runwitme's blog...