Monday, February 13, 2006

My Injury

Well, my injury had been ongoing for a week right now. My knees were swollen right after the RFT run which was held last Saturday. The problem was that, there were no pain associated with this swelling. I could walk like normal but my kness have very limited range of motion. On Sunday, it was so swollen that it looked like the Marshmallow Man's legs. Refer to the pictures below:

Image hosting by Photobucket

The scariest part was that, whenever I walk up or down th stairs, the knees would have a knocking sound. :p Again, there is no pain or whatsoever. I have been applying heat and Ice treatment, not to mention compression and elevation too.

Anyway, as of today, the swelling completely subside and the range of motion on my knees were back to normal. I stretched it everyday while doing walks around the neighbourhood. The walking sessions had been very helpful but, there were pain at the side of my knees. Real pain.

KLIM is just another 3 weeks away. I doubt I can be fit enough to race this event given my condition right now. Anyway, KLIM is not important to me now. What is important is that my knees must heal in order for me to run again...

5 comments:

krunner said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
krunner said...

Rest from from running is a good idea but replace with walking.
The swollen knee is due to fluid accumulation. Yours could a ligament problem and not the same as mine injury(Meniscus). Also consider aspirin/panadol as it helps to reduce inflammation and pain

Boon Haw said...

Hi KRunner,

Thanks for the concern. Ya, that's what I think too. There may be accumulation of fluids in my knee area and it may need a minor jab to draw the fluids out. But I am not going for this option as yet but to see whether it will heal completely within the next week. If it doesn't then there may be no choice but to go for a scan. Will try to do as much as I can to heal. I may be out of action for sometime but trust me, I'll still be at the races to watch you guys!!

Jamie Pang said...

good thing the swelling has reduced. but i suspect it will return when u resume running. suggest consulting an orthopedist. too bad u can't race klim but still hope to see u! take care

ps. maybe u post at the runnersworld forum to ask ppl there

Boon Haw said...

Ya Carboman, that's what I think too. It may return when I resume my run. Too bad my workload here is tying me up at the office. However, I am making an effort to go to the orthopedist to check it out. There is a consultant located at Tun Aminah Hospital in JB here. I'll be making calls for appointment and scanning. Just pray that this is a minor case.. Thanks for your concern...