Well, my injury is getting better right now. I had not been running since last Sunday after the Nilai Half and I felt I was getting out of shape. Well, for the first 3 days, it was pure suffering. The knee got so locked up that I could not walk up or down the stairs in a proper manner. I had to hang on to the side rails and use my hands to pull for support whenever I was walking up or down the stairs. So I intensified my healing by applying ice onto the area more frequently and longer duration. By Thursday, I was able to walk normally and climb stairs but, I still could not descend staircase. Everytime I do this, it felt as if the knee is going to break into two!! Damn...I got to get help and that is when I visited a physio. On Friday itself, I went for the first session and the physiotherapist assessed my injury and concluded that I have a nasty Iliotibial Band injury or commonly known as 'runners knee'. It is a result of 'overusing' the area plus not enough strength training.
So, he went on to prescribe some 'electric pulse' treatment whereby four pieces of suction cup like electrodes where attached along the injured area. Next he switches it on an voila! Instantaneous relief. The machine actually 'massage' the area and according to the physio, quick healing. Next, after 5 minutes of electric treatment, he went on to do a ultrasound treatment. For this, I am not sure what it is for. After the treatment, he prescribed anti inflammatory drug to quicken the healing. He asked me to go for the pool exercise tomorrow to keep my fitness on as he had known that I had not run for days. So I decided to join.
Yahoo!!! This morning (Saturday) I was able to descend staircase!!! Not only there is no more pain but the injured area felt better!! Ha ha!! By afternoon, I was already at the pool waiting for the physio. I was actually very reluctant to jump into the pool because 1) I do not know how to swim and 2) I have some sort of 'pool phobia'. The good thing is that there are floats to tie to your waist or else, no way I am going into the pool. So I plucked up my courage and jump into it anyway!!!SPLASH!!! The water is neck high. My heart is beating like crazy and I was struggling around the pool. By this time, the physio arrived and commenced the aerobic exercise!!! In the Pool!!! Gila man I tell you. It was fun as you really work out like crazy but minus the impact on the joints. Really shiok lah..I had never enjoyed so much in the pool. Then came to the activity where we had to sprint in the pool from one end to another!!! Arrrggghhh!!! This is the most difficult thing I had ever done!!! By the time the activity was over, I was totally drained as if I ran a 5K training. My muscles felt tired but the joints felt fine. No stress or whatsoever. I then proceed back to the clinic to do more electric pulse treatment.
As for now, my knee felt fine but the physio said that I need more rest as the area had been badly inflamed. Another week or two should be fine depending on the progress. I just hope that I can recuperate in time to start running again. I really miss running very much. God help me....
No comments:
Post a Comment