Sunday, November 21, 2004

New Training

Well, I have started on a new method of training for strength and that is running barefooted!

It was difficult at first where I had numerous blood blisters on my footbed but I persisted. I was convinced that by running barefoot, it will improve my running form because it will force me to land my foot properly ie. in the mid section of the foot rather than on the heels. It all started at the Klang Municipal Stadium.

First session (11 November 2004)
This is the worst. I had blood blister on virtually 3 of my toes on each foot. It was damn painful but what the heck, I just run it anyway. On my first session alone, the time dropped dramatically whereby I was running on average a 1min 30 per lap without any difficulties. One thing's for sure, barefoot running does force the runner to run 'properly'. I could not land on my heels anymore as the shock resulting from this is too much for me to withstand, so I have to run on my mid section of the foot concentrating to run lightly. This in turn will force the body to readjust to a proper position to compensate for the change in running style. I ran 8 laps at the pace of 1min 30sec. My blisters burst at this moment and it is getting 'gooey' all the while so I stopped. For the next 3 days, my calves were so painful I was walking like a Zombie. This is to prove that I am not using my calves when I am running with shoes.

Second session (18 November 2004)
This time I felt much better. My legs felt somewhat stronger as I had been doing hills the previous session. Today I decided to run barefoot again. The first lap was at a blistering pace of 1min 26sec. I was surprised...I don't know why it was effortless. It seemed so natural to run in barefoot that whenever I run, all things fell properly into place. My strides, my arms, my feet and my legs all felt in one place. It is a strange feeling but I couldn't help noticing it. I did again another 10 laps at 1min 36sec. It was effortless on the body and I don't know why. However, I got another 3 blisters this time, one on my right toe while there is another two on my left toe and ball of the foot. It again turned gooey and I stopped after the 8th lap. My calves somewhat felt less painful this time. Maybe there had been certain changes in my physique in which I am not aware about.

Well, I think there are advantages in running barefoot. My mom said that I am crazy but I am trying my very best to convince her that it is good. I told her about the Indian runners whom ran without shoes. They are always running fast and now I know that they are the ones whom had the correct running technique. This is what I will pursue in my running. Correct form of running. Wish me luck.

No comments: