Friday, February 23, 2007

Chinese New Year and Running

I had started my journey going back to PJ on Friday after lunch and already, the traffic is showing signs that it is going to be bad on Saturday. There were many cars and throughout the journey I could not help but noticing that there were many like me whom chose to travel back on Friday. Reached home at around evening and was totally pooped. On Saturday, I joined Lai, Ronnie, Kenny and Loong for the pre-Chinese New Year run. I felt good today and for quite a long time, I had not clocked 54mins for the double hill route and I was feeling satisfied. As usual, my parents went early to the market and throughout the day, it was shopping and shopping all the way. At evening, it was time for our family reunion dinner and we had a great meal. On Sunday, it was CNY day 1 and as usual, it was all eat and sleep. In the evening, we had a heavy bout of drinking session and unfortunately, I was drunk. End of the day.

On Monday, we visited our relatives in Banting and again, it was all about eating and drinking. Again, I was drunk on this day and needless to say, the day had ended just like that. Tuesday, I was supposed to run with Ronnie but then I guess I was too drunk to run in the morning trying to recover from the hang over. However, before the recovery actually started, again I consumed alcohol and strong doses of coffee. By midnight, I was already feeling dehydrated and weak. Shit, this is not going to be good for my run next day. Indeed, the effect was really bad where I suffered really bad on Wednesday’s run at the double hill. Not only I felt very hot but then the legs just refused to move. Not only that, the lactic acid build up on my legs refused to clear and by the 6th km after the run started, I had to walk already. By the time I reached the car park, it was 1 hr plus and I was reaching for water. Anyway, this is a good lesson for me that I should not be drinking at least few days before any runs. I am not sure any of you guys out there experience this but it really sucks big time.

On Thursday, I fared much better. Kenny decided to introduce to us the ‘extreme’ route in the lake gardens and by 9.15, the pia kaki’s were already there at the parking lot. I was the last one to reach and after a brief warm up, Kenny led the way. The first 1-2km’s were ok but then when the hill arrived, I was shocked to see that it was really steep. Imagine we have to go through that for 3 rounds and already, I felt like wan to pengsan!! On the first lap, we were generally going slow in order to familiarize with the route. When it came to the hill I knew I am going to lose to all of the runners today as my weakest link in running is still running up hills. I had no choice but to really slow down and my thighs were burning from the accumulating lactic acid. I noticed that I had difficulty setting a pace as there were many twists and turns while not to mention, there were many steep downhills. But it had been a good run and it was only towards the end that I had not managed to catch up with Loco Lai and Siau Lang Ronnie because they really pushed hard in the 3rd lap. In fact I was kau kau lat overtaken by Lai at the hills which would only confirm that I need a lot more hill work. Anyway, my thighs are sore but then the training still had to go on. As for my Friday menu, it would be a kau kau lat cross country run at Bukit Gasing followed by a 10k run in lake gardens on Saturday before resting for my drive back to JB on Sunday.

No comments: