Thursday, August 10, 2006

Consistency...

It had been quite difficult for me the past few weeks as I tried to achieve a consistent 15k timing that I had set myself with. Well, as per the previous training, my timing variance is great where time and time again, I tried to achieve a much more uniform time but could not. I was running at 3.22min (620m) but then, it resulted in my body trying to 'struggle' to uphold the pace although I could finish the 15km distance. Therefore, yesterday I decided to run at a slower pace than usual, just to experiment if my timing would be more uniform. To my surprise, my timing was more uniform than usual, not exceeding -/+5 sec per lap. With exceptions to those anomalies where I 'pia' during the middle of the run, I kept everything strictly under control and in a relaxed manner. Timing is as below:

Lap 1: 3min 28sec (3.28)
Lap 2: 3min 29sec (6.57) +1sec
Lap 3: 3min 27sec (10.25)-2sec
Lap 4: 3min 32sec (13.57)+5sec
Lap 5: 3min 30sec (17.28)-2sec
Lap 6: 3min 30sec (20.58) --
Lap 7: 3min 30sec (24.28) --
Lap 8: 3min 32sec (28.01)+2sec (4.96K)
Lap 9: 3min 32sec (31.33) --
Lap10: 3min 31sec (35.04)-1sec
Lap11: 3min 31sec (38.36) --
Lap12: 3min 30sec (42.06)-1sec
Lap13: 3min 34sec (45.41)+4sec
Lap14: 3min 29sec (49.11)-5sec
Lap15: 3min 32sec (52.43)+3sec
Lap16: 3min 31sec (56.15)-1sec
Lap17: 3min 33sec (59.48)+2sec (10.54K)
Lap18: 3min 32sec (1:03.21)-1sec
Lap19: 3min 19sec (1:06.41)-13sec (Not Applicable timing as I tried to pia)
Lap20: 3min 20sec (1:10.02)+1sec (Same as lap 19)
Lap21: 3min 32sec (1:13.34)+12sec (Back to normal)
Lap22: 3min 30sec (1:17.04)-2sec
Lap23: 3min 31sec (1:20.36)+1sec
Lap24: 3min 30sec (1:24.07)-1sec
Lap25: 3min 03sec (1:27.11)-27sec (15.5K)(All out running)

My total running time was quite consistent at this point and I am more than happy although I was much slower than my normal training pace. At the same time, I found that it is much relaxing to run at this pace than running at a 3.20min/620m pace. By referring back to my pacing chart, I was running at 5min39sec/km which at the full distance of 21.1K, I will be finishing at 1hr 59min 05sec. This was my finishing time for Singapore Half and I intend to break it this year by running at a much faster time. I hope that this can be achieved and the first venue to test my result of training would be the Putrajaya Half. I would like to rock this race but it seemed that I am not that ready yet to fully rock kau kau lat. There is still a long way to go for me to finish under 1hr 53min and I hope that my training is going in the right direction. God bless.

'Quantity does not matter when it comes to training. It is the quality and consistency that counts'

No comments: