Friday, August 18, 2006

CLICK!

It had been a week that I had not posted anything and it is only today, I manage to catch a breather. It had been a busy week and all hell started Monday 8.30am. Our injection mould development were on schedule to begin plastic injection testing when suddenly our customer gave us a red light to stop all development works!! They had initiated a design change!! It is an important project for us as this is one of our large project and we cannot afford to lose this to other competitor. At the same time, the material that we are working with is new to us (Thermoplastic Elastomer) and we are unsure of what are the quality issues we have to tackle with during testing.

As the story goes, everyone was put on full alert. Communication with our customer in US was instantanous and I stayed back after work (11pm) just to have a conference call with them to get the info straighten out. Not only that, as our customer initiated the design change halfway during injection mould fabrication phase, the mould internals were rendered useless and had to be scrapped. The cost of scrapping was astronomically high (5 figure sum) and our mould makers were practically screaming at us because of last minute changes where now, they have less than a week to get the new mould design out. Goddamn, this is going to be one heck of a feat. In order to 'facilitate' the mould maker in expediting the mould, my boss had to endure the continuous round of 3 lettered word (and that is in chinese! -DEW-) from our mould maker while I was pressurised to get all the info required by the mould maker from our customer in US. The worst thing is, our customer whom initiated the design change didn't even get their bloody engineering drawings right and I am not even an engineer to know this!

Again, as the story goes, the mould fabrication is proceeding on a super fast basis just to meet the testing deadline next week while this project is scheduled for a soft launch in month of September in the US. As of today it is already mid August and we have not even built stocks for delivery! At least, there is a general calmness now as we have got the engineering details sorted out but then I am expecting next week to be another hellish week as we will begin our material injection tests and for the first time, to document any quality defects! To add salt to the wound, the testing site is located in Puchong! Imagine the countless hours of driving between JB and KL...

Is anyone out there having Adam Sandler's remote? I would really appreciate if I can get my hands on that remote.....just for one moment....

1 comment:

Jamie Pang said...

if u r in puchong and have got some time to spare call me out for teh tarik!