Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Ipoh International Run 2006

July 2nd had got to be the best day for me as I ran the fastest half marathon since year 2004. I had been stuck in the injury rut for quite sometime and every time I ‘feel’ I was on the verge of coming back, I was hit by another sucker punch in the form of another injury. I mean, I was practically in and out of injury for the whole of 2005 to first half of 2006 and it did not do well for my confidence. Therefore in the month of May 2006, I overhauled my training methods with the intention of getting my form back to the level I was before. To do this, I researched extensively into all the running methods and strengthening exercises available to runners. My concentration was on strengthening as it is the primary foundation to running and injury prevention. In addition to that, I began to dedicate more time into running where strict adherence to the schedule, distance, pacing and timing are the main staple to my training nowadays. In fact, I scheduled the PJ Half as a warm up to this run so that I could just peak at the right time to run my best in Ipoh.

The journey began on June 30th where I took an afternoon bus from Johor back to my home. In fact I was originally on leave but was being called back to the office due to certain urgent matters and I nearly missed the 5pm bus!! During the journey, I was building up my psyche to face the tough challenges in Ipoh. I wanted nothing but to run my best in Ipoh and I knew I am more than ready for it.

It was on July 1st that I knew how I should run the race. I was picked up by Rachel and together with Ronnie, we headed back to his house in Jinjang. There Ronnie spent sometime contemplating at what pace he should run this race. While doing this, he asked me a question. ‘What is the timing you would like to do in Ipoh?’ I began to think, sub 1hr 50mins? Is that possible? Then I told Ronnie, ‘I would like to run below 1hr 50mins’. He mentioned OK and proceeded to calculate the pace at which I should be running to achieve this timing. He mentioned that I should be running at around a 5.10 to 5.20 pace just to squeeze into the sub 1hr50min timing. I began to have doubts about my ability to maintain this for the whole of 21km. For me, running this pace would akin to commit suicide in the middle of the road but I told myself to give nothing but the best. Ronnie was right in saying that I needed to run with ‘something’ rather than nothing. To me, that something is my target 5.10/km. He even suggested to write down my target time on a piece of paper and stick it to my watch. I did just that.

I’ll run 5.10 pace.

We were waiting for CM at the TOTO shop and I appreciate very much for his volunteer to be the driver to Ipoh although he had just finished his work and he was more than glad to drive us. Thank You CM!! After picking up SJ at the bus stop, as he suggested, we shumachered down to Ipoh. During the journey, we talked a lot of ahem ahem while Ronnie was catching up on his date with the sleeping beauty. In no time, we reached Ipoh and after spending sometime rounding here and there, finally we found the hotel at around 5pm. We were dead tired and then the extreme of the extreme Ah Loong appeared at our doorstep.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


It was around 6pm that we took our dinner but this time, we did not eat at our usual place Lou Wong instead, we chose another shop to makan.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Richard Habeya joined us too for the makan makan party and after that, we proceed to our next makan program and that would be the tau foo fa!! Chen, thanks for the tau foo fa…we will pray that Germany wins so that we can have another one… Wendy arrived during this time and I appreciate very much for her help in getting us the running bibs. Without you, it would be difficult for us to squeeze in this makan program! THANK YOU WENDY!!!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Wendy on the far left


As there is nothing much to do, I bought my ‘racing beverage’ and some of us proceed back to the room while others chose to go Ipoh Parade. After chor dai dee with the queen of gambling (you know who), lights were out by around 11pm.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Ah Loong, you need to do a better job on snapping photo's next time


Sleep.

My alarm sounded and it was blaring down my ear.

5.00am, July 2nd. My head was clear and I felt good today. Woke up and proceed to clean myself and tried to clear my bowels but nothing was coming out. Changed into my clothes and proceed to wear my shoes. By this time, CM was up too and I just told him that I am going out on a pre-race run. I did this during the Singapore Marathon and it proved to be beneficial where I would be sufficiently warmed up at the starting line. I was out of the hotel and ran, tried to find my pace and just to double check if there were any part of my legs that showed signs of injury. There is a slight sore on my shin and it is irritating. ‘Shit’ I said. But that is all I said because I didn’t give a damn about this injury. I knew it would be ok during race time as long as I adhered to my pace and not to be over zealous in my footstrikes. I was back at my room in no time and looking at CM he was ready too.

6.00am, we gathered at the hotel lobby and proceed together to the starting line. Everybody looked more than ready to race in this event. Ronnie suddenly disappeared to the hotel to do his usual thing. While jogging to the starting area, I already made up my mind to commit to the suicidal pace of 5.10. I’ll do it no matter what. This is the spirit of PIA.

6.45am, after spending much time looking for the registration booth and ogling at those runners with very muscular legs, I was thinking how would be the course like? According to CM, there is only one ‘uphill’ and that would be the bridge. Should I be saving energy for this bridge?

6.46am, BLAAAM!!! Off we go! This year the 10k and 21k runners started together and everybody just run like hell. I started my pace which I had committed to….5.10.

Km1-Km3 (15min 38sec) Averaging 5.12/km – This is good, I had stuck to the pace that I had intended to do and I showed no signs of tiring.

Km4 (20min 24sec) Averaging 4.45/km – This is crazy??!! Am I running too fast? I slowed down at this juncture.

Km5 (25min 37sec) Averaging 5.12/km – I hit my target timing for 5km (25.50) and I could afford to maintain my pace at this point in time.

Km6 (31min 11sec) Averaging 5.34/km – Shit! My pace fell and I was pushing a little harder in the next km.

Km7 (36min 22sec) Averaging 5.10/km – Target achieved! But overall I lost some time. Kampateh!!!

Km8 (41min 30sec) Averaging 5.08/km – Negative split! Yahoo!!! Onwards to completion!

Km9 (47min 08sec) Averaging 5.38/km – Aiyo!!! Hard work all gone… Pia Pia Pia!!!

Km10 – Km11 (57min 22sec) Averaging 5.06/km – On time! But overall, I did not achieve my targeted time for 10K (51.40).

Km12 (1hr 02min 33sec) Averaging 5.11/km – Still ok. At this point, I met CM and we paced together. But I was worried with CM as he looked tired. We paced together for a few km.

Km13 (1hr 07min 13sec) Averaging 4.39/km – Something is wrong with the distance marker here.

Km14 (1hr 12min 24sec) Averaging 5.10/km – Wohoo!!! Target achieved. Maintain maintain!!!

Km15 (1hr 17min 48sec) Averaging 5.24/km – I am a little tired. My legs were heavy but nevertheless, I still went on. Pushed and Pushed and Pushed!! I was only 18 sec out of my target time!!!

Km16 (1hr 24min 15sec) Averaging 6.27/km – I was chatting with CM at the water station. I needed to conserve energy. We just went on.

Km17 (1hr 29min 38sec) Averaging 5.22/km – Pia Pia Pia!!!

Km18 (1hr 35min 11sec) Averaging 5.32/km – My mind is blur now.

Km19 (1hr 40min 28sec) Averaging 5.17/km – Whoa, I am still maintaining at around this pace!!! I was amazed.

Km20 – Km21 (1hr 53min 15sec) Averaging 6.23/km – I was practically out of steam during this period. For km20, I was chatting with an old man from the veteran category and we were trading answers for the beverages that we took this morning. This guy is strong. I pushed ahead and for the final km, I was like a fish out of the water. Practically breathless and like a kayu. I didn’t even know Ah Loong was just behind me.

RACE ENDS

I did not achieve the target timing of Sub 1hr50min but I manage to shave off 13minutes from my PJ Half and another 6minutes off my Singapore Half. I wasn’t disappointed but I was neither very happy. I felt good that I had run the way I had always wanted to and that is, going all out.

We gathered after the race and headed back to the hotel just to clean up. I would like to congratulate SJ, Ai Ling and Habeya for getting their prizes and to all of the runners whom had done a good job at this race.

Before we depart back to KL, we had our breakfast and the final taste of Tau Hueh (thank you SJ!!!).

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I was back to JB by 10pm and during the journey, I was contemplating on shaving 1min off my time for the Seremban Half. Will I be able to do it? We’ll see.

6 comments:

Jamie Pang said...

great run man! you're on der way back!

Boon Haw said...

Hi Carboman,

Hope that this is not another sucker punch!!

krunner said...

You are on good form now. I think u should be do well in SHM.

krunner said...

You are on good form now. I think u should be do well in SHM.

Keipo said...

Sim:

Glad u get u form slowly-slowly back...!! Sure u can do it better,just don't over P-I-A !!

All der best in Seremban half marathon !!

Wendy said...

ur welcome, sim!