Sunday, June 04, 2006

2nd Pacemakers Anniversary Run 2006

The pacemakers had been in existence for the second year now. The fact that the Pacemakers could exist up until today can be fully attributed to the fact that it's members are very much committed and love the sport of Running. For me, being in Pacemakers carrying the tag PM25 for the second year in the row means very much in my heart. The race n 3rd June is the testament that the Pacemakers are here to stay although some of it's members had seen an increased weight in personal responsibilities, but the fact remained that they are still runners and took their time out to participate in this race. At the same time, the registration of this race had been fully subscribed where there were no additional slots to accommodate runners and they had to be put onto the waiting list. There had been a change in this year's format where we are required to run relays.

The heat of the run had already begun when the pacemaker members had put up their respective posters where Der TNS team and Der Fantastic Four sounded their horn of challenge on May 26. They were closely followed by the Rocket Turtles (OX Team), Der Penguins and then Der PJ-Sub team. The last team submitted the poster was The young and dangerous team. Meanwhile, many of it's members had already begun the 'serious' training towards the race where time and time again, these guys broke their respective PR's at the KLCC park so as to show that they are a force to be reckon with when the day comes.

On Saturday 3 June, it was a good day to begin with although there were signs of rain is about to pour. But then, all the runners turned up for this race and the atmosphere felt like it was a one big family gathering. Our race directors made all the necessary briefing and then the introduction of all the racing team starts. I am in the Young and Dangerous team although on the firsthand, I never expected the results to be that good. My team consist of Kevin Chow-PM32, Jack Toh-PM14(our fastest runner) and Bose-PM16. While chatting with them I could feel that it will be this day when all the PR's of the KLCC park will be easily erased. Their coomitment in their eyes and their eagerness can be felt easily by the way they are preparing themselves. I was slated to be the first runner because I am supposed to be in charged of taking their time down and this proved to be very tense because usually, first runners are the one where they will try to distance themselves from the opponent at every available opportunity.

Before long, Rohaizad (our sponsor) flagged us off. Everybody (the first runners) took off as if rockets had been attached to them. I struggled to follow them but I knew I cannot be to far away from the second runner. I manage to follow them up the the first lap whereby I clocked my personal best of 5.14. I could not believe my eyes where I could run this fast. But the problem starts when I was in the second lap when my energy levels were getting low. In fact by last few hundred metres, I was overtaken by few runners and the timing of 6.05 was the testament to this poor showing. Next I passed the baton to Kevin and by the time he took off, I was still trying to recover from the lack of oxygen in my system. Kevin blazed though the track in 5.30(1st Lap) and 5.47(2nd lap) easily. Next it was Jack Toh and he proved to be the strongest of all when he broke the Lap record by recoridng a 4.19(lap 1) and 4.53(lap 2). By the time he passed the baton to Bose, suddenly the whole race turned very pressurize as we are the first team ahead. Bose blazed through the track in an undissapointing 5.13(lap 1) and 5.41(lap 2). We won the race. No....everybody won the race because everybody ran like bat out of hell and our lungs were stuck to our mouths. We just merely finished ahead......

In my life, this will probably the trophy which will ever mention the word champion and all credit had to be given to my team.

'Everybody is a Winner'. This is a tagline that Ronnie mentioned in the blog. Why? Because, everybody deserved to be praised for their unrelenting 'pia' over the distance of 2km. I mean running at the top of your heart rate for this long distance really felt like there is no breath going into your lungs and your heart felt like exploding. Not only that, the feeling was that of you had no control over your arms and legs. They felt dead, like robots.

Thanks Ronnie, and all the organisers, sponsors and also, the members for making this happen. To me, once a pacemaker, will always be a pacemaker. Just because I joined pacemakers, I am not professing to be different from others.

I profess.....Love for Running.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The 2nd Pacemakers Anniversary Run

1 comment:

krunner said...

Excellent report that captures the essence of what being a runner. It not just about winning but giving one's very best and enjoying the run.