Sunday, July 11, 2004

Success!!

Yahoo!!! Just came back from Seremban Half Marathon and felt very good albeit the legs were utterly useless right now. Feel very tired and my knees are aching. But it is worth it as I ran a 1hr 52min time. Anyway, this is my first 21k and managed to land a medal and at the same time 63rd placing. Have been waiting for this day to come.

Anyway, the experience was good. The atmosphere is very lively and there are many participants coming from other states. Well, here's the racing experience:

The flag off time was at 6.45am and by the time the gun is off, everybody just started to fly and I mean really fly. I was very much worried that my pace would be too slow but I perservered. I stayed at my pace at which I am comfortable with. Overall the course was flat and by the time I reached the 5km mark, I started to make my move. My target was to overtake 4 runners and I managed to do that exactly. After that, I settled back to my comfortable pace again. During the run, I managed to savour the beautiful sights of the hills and the cool air. There was also a small stream beside the road. Perfect. By the 8km mark, I did the same and overtook another 4 runners. When the 10 km mark came and there was a detour into a smaller route. This time, it is hell break lose. The roads are not flat anymore and they become hilly. It's difficult to find pace and I can only manage to stay at my current running position. I couldn't overtake anyone. Not only that, my running form is turning lose and I am swinging excessively on my upper body and I struggled to control it. Anyway, it was OK until I reached the final 3km. It was a disaster because the roads is still as hilly as ever and not to mention, there were a lot of cars. I have to concentrate on not getting hit by a car from the back while trying to find my pace. It was the final 3 km which tested my love for the sport. I was determined that no matter what happens, I must finish my run and get a placing as I know I am within the front peloton. It was the most memorable downhill that I have as I inch forward to the finishing line and then there was a right turn into the open field. I ran as fast as I could and went into the line of my category. I collected a token from the marshall and guess what, I saw a number 63 printed on top of it. It was the most satisfying thing that I ever had for all the hard work I have put forth and I proceed to collect my medal. Immediately I gulped down my Gatorade and just stared at my medal...Success!!

No comments: