Monday, January 08, 2007

Achilles Tendonitis

Yes, I am suspecting that this injury may surface very soon as I had been experiencing pain on the lower portion of the Achilles tendon. For the past 2 months I had been neglecting the pain on my heel area and it was last week (which i had my most intense training week) that my heel became painful. And when I pressed the Achilles tendon area, there was a sharp pain as well and this had forced me to adjust my running gait to accommodate this problem. At this current moment I am approaching my training with care and trying to follow the program that I had drawn up as closely as possible. I am not sure but I guess the main culprit would be the shoe and my program where for the past 2 weeks of training, I had only rested 2 days. Not only that, the majority of my training program is centered on speed work (on Racing Flats!!) and not enough mileage. Right now, I am readjusting the schedule and hopefully, when march comes, I could run a consistent 48mins and below for my 10k. As for the GE30K this weekend, I don't think that my Achilles would be in the condition to race and hence, I would be giving it a miss. However, I would be there to support you guys and see you there!

3 comments:

Jamie Pang said...

aisay man... get well soon!

John said...

Try acupuncture treatment. It may help. Most importantly, do not train too fast or too long too soon. Your program has to be gradual and more long term. My 2 cents.

Boon Haw said...

Hey Carboman and John: thanks for the advise! I didn't even realise that there were messages in the comments column. Anyway, I had spoken to Ronnie and he did mention that I ran too many hard workouts and that is the cause of my problems. In fact I had already adjusted my training schedule to give myself more space to develop properly than the current haphazard one.