As suggested by the heading, I did my first super 10 laps at KLCC and one word sums everything up... it’s hell difficult. I am not sure but KLCC had not always been a favourite venue for me to pia kau kau lat but then, if I had a choice on where to train, it would be at KLCC as well. Read on to find out why.
It was on Monday that I suffered food poisoning and it was really a bad one. By the evening, I was already kneeling at the toilet bowl purging out like nobody’s business. I suffered pain on my diaphragm due to excessive vomiting and by night time, I was like a robot lying on the couch... lifeless. Due to this, I had no choice but to turn down Jamie’s Birthday run Tuesday while reflecting back on plans to run a 50k mileage this week....sad so sad...
Anyway, I received a sms from Ronnie requesting me to do a super 10 lap at KLCC and send him the timing. He asked me if I needed any pacer and I told him there is no need because I don’t get used to having a pacer while running unless, it is during race. Although I was planning to do Trail Run but then, the 10 Lap at KLCC is really enticing for me. So, by 3pm, I got myself prepared and checked my pacing chart at what speed I was supposed to run. After some minor conversion, I need to run a minimum 7min 08sec per lap and I cannot go above that timing.
I reached KLCC at around 4.50pm and immediately I put on my racing flats and started warming up. At the same time, Lai also sms’ed me to wish me luck and mentioned to tell him my timing. I started jogging from the mosque to the starting line and already, I was tired and thirsty due to my slow recovery from the infection. I noticed there was pain in my abdomen too. Shit, hope that things would go well.
1st Lap (6mins 27secs)
This lap is a crazy lap as I ran too fast from the beginning. I wasn’t sure why I had always started too fast at KLCC but then, I guess I could not concentrate well with so many people around walking in the park. I was feeling well and after passing the starting line, I decided to slow down.
2nd Lap (6mins 47secs) / (13mins 15secs)
Still feeling ok and I knew this is the pace I should be running in.
3rd Lap (6mins 52secs) / (20mins 08secs)
Feeling good and I was 5 sec off the mark. There was already discomfort in my abdomen and I tried putting that feeling aside.
4th Lap (6mins 57secs) / (27mins 56secs)
I checked my time and wasn’t surprised about the positive splits for three consecutive laps. Already, I was feeling thirsty because of the diarrhea on Monday where I did not replenish properly on fluids.
5th Lap (6mins 39secs) / (33mins 45secs)
In this lap, I overtook a malay guy and it seemed to me that he is a ‘runner’. From his running form and footwork, he seemed strong and if I am not mistaken, he is wearing a heart rate monitor as well. Spotting this guy gave me additional boost to chase him where it was in this lap that I manage to overtake him while all this time, I had been trailing behind him for a good 2 laps. Hence, the explanation on why the split time is negative. Now I had come to understand on the reason why Ronnie had asked whether I would need a pacer and indeed, if I had one, I would have easily slashed off another 1 or 2 mins from the timing.
6th Lap (6mins 46secs) / (40mins 32secs)
I run another positive split as I felt the lap before was too quick and I needed to conserve energy for the uphills. Already, I was feeling tired. It was mind games all the way and together with the slight drizzle, it certainly gave me enough reason to quit. But I didn’t.
7th Lap (7mins 04secs) / (47mins 37secs)
This is where I started to suffer. My mouth and throat was so dry that I could not felt even a droplet of liquid is present in my mouth. In the back of my mind, I wanted to stop at lap 8.
8th Lap (7mins 05secs) / 54mins 43secs
Another positive split. It was all pain and it began to drizzle. The feeling of tiredness coupled with thirst would be the greatest challenge I had overcome so far. I could not describe the amount of suffering I was going through in which partly attributable to the undulating course. I felt that my calves were exploding, a sign that I had ran above my comfort zone. Still, I resisted the temptation to drink as I know, once I stop I will not have the willpower to continue running as I was too tired to continue. Not to mention, it had started to rain.
9th Lap (7mins 05secs) / 1hr 01mins 48secs
I had nothing to say about this lap as I was totally numb all over....
10th Lap (6mins 47secs) / 1hr 08mins 35secs
Knowing this is my last lap, I gave all I could.
By the time I had stopped running, I was like a fish out of water...trying desperately to breathe in as if I was choked. Not only that, my mouth was so dry that there were some sort of white liquid build up on the edges of my mouth. I knew this was the sign of running too hard while the body is desperately trying to recover. The hills were the ultimate killers as it was difficult to maintain pace and the moment we up our pace, tiredness sets in. All the time, I wasn’t attacking the hills but merely, let my feet carry my body up as I knew it would be a grave mistake to push at these steep hills.
I had a good time today although feeling a little tired right now. Anyway, I will be continuing my run today at KLCC and hopefully on Saturday, my favourite trail in Bukit Gasing.
No comments:
Post a Comment