This is my longest run since my lay off from injury. In fact it had been quite difficult for me to pick that back up because there had been a dark shadow looming over me that the injury will strike back. In fact, everytime I run, I was so sensitive to pain on my knee that a slight discomfort will send my pace spiralling downwards to a jog. My longest run was only a 25min jog. Nothing more than that and to make matters worse, my weight incresed by 2kg. I looked at myself in the mirror and decided that something must be done to improve my condition.
Due to the constant need to run, I brave myself to tackle the seemingly impossible 30mins run. Before I start I just tell myself, I am going to enjoy this and get on with it whether it is going to be painful or not. I just cannot stand there and hope that this will disappear while I whither away under this condition.
I stood by the roadside and it was a beautiful night. Clear skies with stars all over it. Street lights were blaring down the road creating a lightened path. 'This is going to be a good run'...
I took the first step and indeed, it was a heavy one. Just barely 3 mins into the run, the knees started to scream discomfort. I looked down onto my knees and tell them, 'I am going to do this so please..co-operate'. Another 15mins into the run and again, I repeated the same thing. However, things started to change 20mins into the run. Miraculously, the knee 'kept quiet' all the way. It just worked seamlessly and after sidelining for such a long time, I enjoyed my first 'long' run. I felt light and good. No struggling and no discomfort.
In total, I ran a 7.5k. This is puny by any runners standard but for anybody with injury, this is one heck of a mammoth task. I finished it by running a hard lap, 4.5mins pace to be exact. I stopped when I finished my 10th lap knowing it should be enough for today. Looking at my watch, it registered 42mins 36secs. What a good night..
4 comments:
well done! hopefully this is the start of your successful knee rehab! can't wait to have all der pms back on der road again!
Hi carboman..Well done on your KLIM too. Anyway, I am trying to get a second opinion as the first one I don't think it is effective enough. The pain can be there after a hard run but it goes away after 1 day of rest. So I may be spending a fortune on my next visit. I am a little worried on this.
The 1st doctor seems to be a clueless doc who doesn't really know much about knees. The knee is the most complex joint in the body and there are books dedicated to knee joint.
If the doctor knows his stuff well, he will do some basic tests such as twisting, tapping and feeling the knee. From the movement, noises and feel, he can tell what is wrong with the knee.
This won't much money. Maybe if he asks you to do an MRI scan, it is going to cost a lot. But a basic X-ray will do for most tests.
Thanks Krunner, ya that is what I think too. Anyway, I'll just have to visit one in KL and see what they say.
Post a Comment