Monday, December 05, 2005

Singapore Marathon 2005

Singapore Marathon had always been the centre of focus for runners as it was always well organised. For me, as you can see my posting earlier, I 'want' to run a sub 2hr 20K...if that is possible at all. Learning from other runners whom had ran the Marathon event before, the words that they kept repeating was H-O-T. Therefore I decided to monitor the skies from here just few days prior to S'pore Marathon and judging from what I see, I thought the temperature on race day should be cool enough for many runners to set a new PR as it had been raining relentlessly. Well, it turned out to be otherwise...Right now I think I should just shut up about the weather and concentrate on my running report.

3 Dec 2005
Reached Singapore at around 12.30 PM and proceed to check in at Metropole Hotel. The Hotel is situated 10 Mins walk away from Padang and it is budget class. Well, I think I had to settle for that due to my last minute planning. After checking in, I waited...and waited...and waited for Jason to arrive. Next we proceed to collect our bibs from SunTec Convention. We hurried back to our hotel in time for the Carbo Loading dinner with Carboman and his clan, Kelvin, Live to Run, Klang Runner, KNN, Krunner, OX Group, ST and Hubby, few more others. After the dinner, I paid a visit to Coldstorage where I bought my 'beverage' for tomorrow's run. Lights off at 11.30am but not before cursing the organisers for not providing me a safety pin to pin my bibs. Oh ya..I forgot to mention, I met Chubbybouncer on my way back to Hotel together with parents.

4 December 2005
Woke up at 4.30am. Just did some final preparations and begin gulping down half of my running beverage. After that, I told Jason that I am going out for a 'pre-race run'. I wore my jacket and begin running to the Padang and during the running process, I begin to visualise that I am actually running a sub 2hr. At this time, the padang is still quite empty with runners although there are a few runners here and there. I got a few strange stares from other runners as well but I didn't cared much. From the padang I ran back towards Seah street and spend a little time outside the National Library just to prep my mind. Trust me, this is one beautiful library and I would like to visit this place sometime this year. I proceed back to my room to clear my bowels and gulped down the rest of my drink. By that time, it was around 5.15am. Jason proceeded to the line first while I was at my room relaxing. I made my way to the starting line at around 6.00am, starting in PEN2.

My First 10KM
Everybody seemed to charge down the street and I followed suit. However, my strategy was to find my running pace for the 1st KM. I had pre-planned that to do a SUB 2hr I would need to run at least below 5.40min/KM just to make it into the cut. I tried running faster at 5.20mins but I couldn't. So I settled somewhere in between 5.32 to 5.50 for the first 10K. As for the water station, I skipped the 4th KM and only drank from the next one. I would actually skip one water station and only to refill in the next one throughout the entire race. At the same time, I refrained myself from taking in 100 Plus because it will upset my stomach where I'll burp continuously in which will further upset my running rhythm as well. In my training, I'll run 15km without water, so I guess I had gotten used to it. The amount I took was approx. 1 full gulp only and not more than that. The rest? I 'showered' myself with it. Ha ha..at least my skin will look good! :p From here I managed to identify a pacer running at the pace I 'need' which will enable me to complete the sub 2hr.

My Second 10KM
Met KNN somewhere at the 10K Mark. He looked like he was suffering and we paced together for a few good KM before he asked me to proceed further. During the 12KM stage, my 'Pacer' decided to stop! ARRRGGGGHHH!!! Suddenly for a good 2-3km, I was struggling to find my pace and there, my average time plummeted to 6.10mins per KM. This lasted for a good 3K before I said: 'WTF!!' I didn't come here to survive. I came here to run till I drop dead! With this pep talk, I manage to regain my composure and tried to compensate as much time as possible. At the 17KM, I started to turbo down the road. If I am not mistaken, I overtook more than 10 to 15 vege's on the way and I just didn't care about water stations or pain anymore. I just want to run until I drop dead. Checking my time, I was averaging around 5.20 to 5.35/KM. At last, I manage to survive until the esplanade bridge and grab water from the last water station. I only drank a bit and the rest I just showered myself while running down the road. It was bloody hot that day. I only felt it while finishing the run. Checking my time, I was still within the sub 2hr bracket and I just run all I can. Upon entering the road leading to the finishing line, I was greeted by a large group of 'walking' 10K runners!! SHIT!! I pushed a few runners just to clear my way and to my dismay, when I looked at the electronic time on the finishing line, it was flashing 2hrs 01min. I actually cursed myself for not running harder at the finishing just to make up for the 1min that I had lost. I was hoping that my Net time would be much better and to my surprise, today's website showed I ran a 1hr 59mins 50sec!!! Ha Ha!! I cut the 2hr line by a mere 10 seconds!! Oh ya I forgot to mention...I was so wet from the 'sponging' sessions, I looked as if I swam in the pool with my running vest on. My marathon pictures ain't gonna be pretty...

Post run experience.
It was a hot day. A really hot day. While I was standing at the finishing line to cheer Shine, Carboman, Buluman, Live to Run, and others, my skin felt like it was being cooked by a hot oven. I decided to stay on to cheer Jason on but the bloody heat was making me hiding behind tents.

I guess my heat training really paid off in a way. I ran my best 21K this year in Singapore creating a new PR as well, smashing last 21K timing by a good 3mins or so. It may not sound much but under these conditions, it is a century to me.

To all the runners whom had run the Singapore Marathon this year, well done. You have just survived a 'Living Hell in Disguise'.

1 comment:

Jamie Pang said...

i think u r on ur way back! well done!