Monday, September 11, 2006

2006 Putrajaya International Marathon

This is the first time I had participated in the Putrajaya International Marathon and it was quite well organized. Apparently, the organizers had got several things right and the where they had the starting line close to large parking lots. It is a good move as runners would not have to walk to the starting lines and at the same time, it can actually minimize the baggage handling area where the runners can opt to store their belongings in their cars. It is also another good idea that the organizers had brought forward the starting time as I have heard Putrajaya is notorious for its unforgiving temperature. At the same time, water stations are ample too.

The day started on a very rushing mode where I s#@t fast, showered fast and everything was fast as I woke up late. Got into Jason’s car and it was 15mins later that I remembered about the race beverage I had left on the kitchen sink. Goddamn.... We manage to reach Putrajaya at around 5.00am and there were plenty of parking lots around. Saw several regulars and then proceed to store my stuff in Fook’s car which he arrived 45mins later with Ronnie. After witnessing the flag off of the Marathon Runners, we took pictures at various places. But while all these were happening, my mind was constantly evaluating on the humidity and the temperature prevailing that morning. It was really a godsend where it was very cooling that day and the air is somewhat light and dry. While I knew I will not suffer much in this race although the race course is undulating all the way, I kept telling myself that I should not be overzealous on my speed.

It seemed that everything went by so fast. Before I realized anything, I was already standing at the starting line. While everybody was standing at the starting line psyched up, I was trying to relax myself because I knew I could run well when I am not too nervous. The timing of 1hr 55mins was all I had in mind as I had not trained for the event where during previous week, I was too focused on my work. Never mind who’s going to smoke who but then just finish the goddamn race.

Some minister (I guess) flagged us off and in a flash, I was already after several landmarks and heading towards the first round about. My starting pace was too fast and I decided to slow down. Saw Ai Ling the leng lui and passed her while running at the first bridge. Next I decided to slow down when I saw some bloody menacing hills right in front of me and decrease my strides so as to allow me to tread through the crazy hill. Surprisingly, I wasn’t sweating that much as compared to Singapore and I knew I might just be able to scrape through 1hr 55mins. While running towards the main bridge, I could not help but to slow down and enjoy the view of the surrounding area. At this point of time, I had been smoked by CM and I decided to gave up my chase as he is running too fast...sigh....there’s still a long way to go for me to chase you man....you really kau lat lar...

While running, I couldn’t help but noticing that the route is largely undulating in nature. I mean, every climb we make is followed by another drop while followed by another climb. Shit, this is tough. What makes it mind numbing is that I had to keep on switching my strides whenever a hill is in sight and it really bothers me when my pacing and speed falls. There is no consistency in my energy output and I am drained as a result of that. Double Shit.

It was all mind game from 15th km. Every uphill I encountered, I pushed and pushed without giving much thought to my energy levels. As I entered the mosque, I thought that it is going to be a straight route to the end so I gave it all I got. As I was running, I saw the tent from a distance and I thought this is going to be it. Looking at my watch, I was on track for a super kau lat PR too but then, my heart sank when runners begin to turn left into the detour. Shit! What’s this! Suddenly I remembered CM telling me that there will be a detour around the building and so I thought it is just a small turn. No big deal.

I was wrong...

My spirit sank further when there was an uphill climb and not to mention, after the uphill climb it was all the way straight into the oblivion. Cilakak! I could not even spot where the runners were turning and that is when I decided to take a break. I walk and cursed these organizers having to make us experience something like that. To make matters worse, my stomach acted up and I feel like want to lau sai. This is real suffering.....

Nevertheless, after walking for a good few minutes I decided to continue the journey when the turn was in sight and the finishing line is just ahead. I just gave all I could for the last few hundred meters and manage to cross the finishing line in 1hr 54mins 54secs which is well within 1hr 55mins which I had set. Haha! So much for perfect timing!

After the toilet trip, I met up with Ronnie and gang for a short walk around the area. After an hour or so of hanging out, it was time for breakfast at puchong. My pork noodle sucks big time. No taste. Yuck. But then, I was happily eating it as I was hungry.

Next race, Mizuno and I will not wallop kau kau lat. Haha!

(Note from editor: Due to extreme fatigue from Putrajaya International Marathon, readers would be advised to excuse the writer from having to use certain explicit words while not to mention, the inability to construct a proper sentence. Thank You. :-p)

5 comments:

Jamie Pang said...

it was a damn good run! congrats!

Boon Haw said...

Haha! I should be congratulating you! You made it without sufficient training. Kau lat lar you!!

fook said...

congratulation on hitting ur target time,thanks for the advise, see u in mizuno,
fook

krunner said...

Another fine effort from you. U will not wallop, kau-kau in the Mizuno?

Boon Haw said...

Hi krunner,

Based on my current level of fitness, I don't think I can as the route is seriously hilly. Although I had been hitting more than 10k for my training but then, I had not been doing speedwork and therefore I had 'forgot' how to run fast. I guess I need some speed excercise before I am confident enough to pia kau kau in KL. Meanwhile, I am trying to enjoy running as much as possible.